The Lakes and Trails Festival is held annually in Sydenham Ontario. It celebrates the areas natural beauty, active lifestyle and history.
Cycling events include:
The Around the Lake Bike. Bike around Sydenham Lake on off-road trails and on quiet, low-speed, paved rural roads. The 21-kilometre loop leaves the Point Park at 10:30, the 34K loop leaves at 10:00, and the 44K loop leaves at 9:30.
The Family Bike. An 8-kilometre trip out and back on the Cataraqui Trail beside Sydenham Lake.
The Cycle Skills Competition. Suitable for cyclists from training wheels to advanced. The Paper Route, the Zig Zag and the Slow Bike events will be scored and a leader board will be kept through the morning. Prizes will be awarded to the winners by event and age.
Yellow Bikes will help with bicycle maintenance. Helmet fitting and safety instruction will be available. All cyclist will be given bells and lights.
Other events include paddling on the lake, a community lunch, historic village walk, swimming and Music-on-Mill Street in the afternoon.
Registration begins at 9:30 in Sydenham’s Point Park and the music ends at 4. Come any time.
The Sydenham branch of the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) will hold a BBQ to raise money for this year’s Lakes and Trails Festival.
The BBQ will be on Friday May 25, at the Bank Branch. Hot dogs and a pop will sell for $3.00. All money raised will help keep the Lakes and Trails Festival accessible to all.
Come out on May 25. Have a hot dog and support your local festival.
The Lakes and Trails Organizing Committee would like to thank the community sponsors who have already come forward to make the July 14, 2018 Festival possible. With their early help we are able to expand the number activities at this year Festival and add a free “Music on Mill Street” concert in the afternoon from 2-4. There will also be a concert by Gary Raspberry, a well known local children’s performer, on the Point in the morning. More details to follow. We also need more sponsors to ensure we can cover all our costs and continue into 2019.
The 2018 sponsors, as of May 3, are:
Barb’s Handmade Pierogi
Clinton Family Dentistry
KFL+A Public Health Unit
RBC Sydenham Branch
South Frontenac Rides
South Frontenac Township
Sydenham Canoe Club
Sydenham Veterinary Services
Trousdale’s General Store
Trousdale’s Funeral Home
The Lakes and Trails Festival this summer will feature a Cycle Skills competition, with prizes for different age groups. A leader board will be kept through the morning and participants are welcome to try again and improve their score. The skills events are:
1) The Paper Boy – Ride through a course with a bag of newspapers and deposit them in barrels – judged on time and accuracy
2) The Zig Zag – Ride between the lines on a pre-determined zig zag course. This event is geared towards younger riders, including those with training wheels – judged on accuracy.
3) The Slow Bike – How long can you take to ride between two points. – slowest rider wins!
Other cycling events at the Lakes and Trials Festival include the Around the Lake bike (21, 36 and 44K loops) and a 5k family cycle on the Cataraqui Trail. Bells, lights, and helmet fitting will be available to riders.
For more information on the Festival visit: https://lakesandtrailsfestival.org/.
See you on July 14. Bring you bike, boat and walking shoes.
Endorsements and involvement have started rolling in for this years Lakes and Trails Festival on July 14.
• The Kingston Public Library is coming with their giant lawn games.
• Frontenac Outfitters will be there with their boats and paddling help.
• Trousdale’s General Store will have ice cream for all participants.
• Barb Mclaren and crew are organizing the BBQ.
• The Cataraqui Canoe Club will be leading a canoe trip on Sydenham lake starting and ending at the Point.
And, there is more to come. If you have an idea, or want to help, send it along.
The 2018 Lakes and Trails Festival on July 14 will incorporate the following suggestions made by participants in last summer’s festival.
- A short family bike trip out and back on the Cataraqui Trail.
- A lifeguard at the paddling site.
- Different start times for the four bike rides: 9:30 for the 44K loop Around-the-Lake, 10 for the 36K loop, 10:30 for the 21K loop and 11am for the family bike. All trips will have a lead and sweep biker.
- A bicycle repair station on site.
- A meet-up station for people wishing to paddle in a group.
- Live music in the village so that participants can have a patio drink in Sydenham in the afternoon.
- More organized parking.
- More space for the BBQ and more food.
- A cycle skills competition with “leader board” and prizes by age group.
Any other ideas are welcome, we are still in the early planning stages. Also, you can come out and help plan or volunteer on the day. Thank you to everyone for all the feedback.
Organizing is underway for the 2018 Lakes and Trails Festival.
The Festival will be held on Saturday, July 14 with activities at the Point park in Sydenham village, South Frontenac, 9:30am to 2pm. We hope to expand the festival to include live music on George and Mill Streets with opportunities to enjoy a drink or coffee after a morning of activity.
The Festivals will include a bike around the Lake with an added short bike out and back on the Cataraqui Trail for younger families. Paddling will again be organized by the Sydenham Canoe club. Local residents and historical interpreters will organize a new version of the walking tour of Sydenham village.
To see pictures of last years festival click the Picture item on the top menu.
See you on July 14.